User-agent: * Allow: /. Would Like To Be A Yummy Mummy: Tears, Tantrums and A New Reaction To Being Told Off

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Tears, Tantrums and A New Reaction To Being Told Off

My little girl is growing up quickly and seems to be going through new phases weekly.

The latest one is her reaction to being told off or being in trouble.



Usually she is pretty good but sometimes like all children she is a little bit naughty.  In terms of discipline I have always been consistent Super Nanny style and it seems to work for us. Instead of shouting and screaming (which I feel like doing) I get down to her level and speak to her firmly, she has a warning and we have a naughty cushion which she sits on for 3 mins. Even her little Sister goes on it for 1 minute.

I have never ever smacked her or felt the need to smack either!!

Over the past few weeks we have had a few instances where she has been in trouble. I told her her behaviour was not acceptable and gave her a warning but then comes the new reaction.....

......She gets really, really emotional, her bottom lip wobbles and she says "i'm sorry, i'm so sorry, do you still love me?  I love you, I won't do it again, I love you, I love you, I'm sorry, sorry, sorry".

Well what am I supposed to say to that?

Of course I tell her that I still love her and always will but that I am a bit cross with her because she has been naughty. I then wipe her face and give her a hug before distracting her with a new activity.

Is there something else I should be doing? I am not going to get manipulated into letting her get away with bad behaviour but at the same time I don't want my happy go lucky, confident little girl to feel unloved, especially when Daddy is away with work!

Aaahh think I might have answered my own question there. Maybe because Daddy is away she is feeling a little insecure and doesn't like to upset me.

A few weeks ago she used to tell me to "take my cross face off" so hoping this is just another "phase".

Being a parent is sometimes tough and any comments or advice would be welcomed.

Karen x