User-agent: * Allow: /. Would Like To Be A Yummy Mummy: Update On Toilet Training

Thursday 12 April 2012

Update On Toilet Training

I am so proud of my little girl. She is amazing.



I started toilet training in January. At 18 months I brought Rosie a little toilet seat, lots of pretty knickers and just woke her up one morning and explained what we were going to do.

On day 3 it was clear she still didn't really understand what we wanted from her. By fluke she had managed to do all her poohs in the toilet and a few wees but there were also lots of accidents and lots of wet knickers.

However, on day 4 something clicked and from that point on we have not looked back.

By the end of week two there were no accidents what so ever.

When we go out we always take a little toilet seat out with us. It lives in a canvass bag which is easily washed and I have Milton wipes to clean it.

She has never had an accident out!

We have done only one long journey (2 1/2 hours) and we did not need to stop. We have learnt that she can hold it in for quite a while.  She also asks to go. She will not sit on the seat if she does not want to go and never has done so it's pointless just trying to put her on it!

Other Mums at Toddler groups we go to cannot believe that she is trained already. They all think she looks too little.

We have been taking her swimming recently and a few weeks ago I put a swim nappy on her...I have no idea why, I just felt I should. She spent the whole time asking for a wee. This weekend we left the nappy off and she only asked to go right at the end as we were about to get out anyway.

So why has it been so easy for us?

I think the age has a lot to do with it. At this young age they really want to please you! We did it at the same age for Poppy and she did it really quickly too.

Rosie had been showing signs of being ready (although her Sister hadn't at this age). Both girls would never sit in a dirty nappy even when tiny you knew they needed changing quickly. Rosie had started bringing us nappies to change her.

We are consistent - we always do the same thing. and once we started there was no going back.

I stayed home for a week

We used knickers...never pull ups or nappies in the day, so there was no confusion.

She wears a nappy to bed at night and for her nap but after nap time is always dry, I think I am going to stop this one soon.

I know some people struggle and have real difficulties so do not wish to come across as smug. This is just the way we have done it and what has worked for us.

If you are about to embark on this huge change then I wish you lots of luck.

My top tips are you will need: lots of knickers/pants, lots of patience and a good sense of humour, wine might be useful too. I felt like a glass at the end of the day in that first week!


Karen x