User-agent: * Allow: /. Would Like To Be A Yummy Mummy: Diwali - The Festival Of Light

Friday 4 November 2011

Diwali - The Festival Of Light

This half term Poppy is learning all about celebrations and festivals at Preschool. For the past week she has been learning all about Diwali - The Festival of light, celebrated by Hindus. I must admit this is all new to me and until now I never knew such a festival existed.

I am told that the children have been read the story of Rama and Sita, made Diva Lamps out of clay, listened and danced to traditional Indian music and enjoyed dressing up in traditional Indian clothes. I do know Poppy has really enjoyed herself and has come home each day excited to tell me what she has been up to and learnt.

Today we were invited along to a party to mark the end of the week and first celebration. I wanted to share with you a few photos:



The children had their hands painted and told it was henna.


They had Bindis placed on their foreheads and enjoyed eating traditional foods.  They tried onion bhaji, vegetable samosa, a traditional curry (they had made the day before). Which they then followed with some traditional sweets:



They also lit tea lights in the little Diva lamps they had made:


As you can see they all had great fun and enjoyed showing us parents what they have learnt

Now I must admit when I first heard about this Celebration, I had mixed feelings about it. Poppy attends a Preschool set within a small rural village School. It is so small that the Preschool and reception children are all in one class.  So I must admit I did wonder why such a detailed project? Ok a little naive and probably not the most politically correct thing I could say but I did wonder.

Then it got me thinking that actually our children are growing up in a multicultural society so perhaps they should learn all about different customs and cultures.

I guess understanding prevents ignorance and therefore being educated in a multicultural way has got to be good for this Country.

I am now really interested to find out what the next Celebration/ Festival is.

What do you think?

Karen x