User-agent: * Allow: /. Would Like To Be A Yummy Mummy: Save The children - No Child Born To Die

Monday 19 September 2011

Save The children - No Child Born To Die




If you only ever stop once to read one of my posts, please, please make it this one.

Saturday saw the first Save the Children Bloggers Conference put into motion ahead of the UN General Assembly in New York on Tuesday, where world leaders will meet and life changing decisions will be made. 

Fellow blogger, Chris Mosler along with Liz Scarff on behalf of Save the Children are once again leaving their own families behind and jetting off to New York a to put pressure on David Cameron to play his full part in solving the health worker crisis.  

What crisis you may ask?  Well let me explain. The 3.5 million global shortage of trained health workers which is leading to unnecessary and very much preventable deaths. As a Mummy I am very excited to be able to blog about something I feel passionately about and in some small way help this incredibly worthy campaign. 

You too can help and here's how;  
  • First, Chris will be handing over a petition and is aiming to get at least 60,000 signatures.  The figure currently sits around the 42,000 mark so we have our work cut out.  Please lets not let her and all those people whose voices can not be heard down. So if you haven't done so already, sign the petition, it takes less than 30 seconds and can help to change lives.
  • Next @HelloItsGemma and @michelletwinmum  want (need) to see 100 posts of 100 words linked up by Tuesday. If 100 bloggers each write a post about this and encourage more signatures that could make a massive dent in the 20,000 signature shortfall.
  • Write your 100 words about a great health professional you have encountered in your life. Add a link to the petition and either link or add in some information from Save the Children about the#Healthworkers campaign
  • Link to a number of other bloggers/ vloggers and ask them to do the same. 
  • Tweet about it, facebook mention it, remark on google plus, talk to your friends and families on the phone, whatever you can do to spread the word to just a few more people, please do it.
I know, I for one take everything I have for granted sometimes. We catch a glimpse of clips on TV and are shocked by what we see but cannot imagine life without technology, food, health care facilities and workers at our every beckon call.  Just imagine for one minute, a life where you can't drive to A&E so they can  check your infant over for the tenth time only to reassure you its just another cold, but instead walk for miles with your seriously sick baby who dies in your arms on the way.  We must help give these children the right to live.


and so i'll leave you with this, my 100 words about a great health professional I've encountered.

"She had a warm smiley face and a calm attitude. She was the one who broke my waters when my second baby was refusing to budge. She was patient and calm, even when I was screaming that I really was dying she held onto my hand, reassuring me that I was going to be ok. She was the one who delivered my little girl, who laid her on my tummy telling me how clever I was and how healthy my little princess was too. I will always be grateful to the midwife who delivered my daughter safely into this world "

Now I have to link people into this, i know many of you have doen it already but if you haven't please do. Its a very worthy cause.


Karen x