User-agent: * Allow: /. Would Like To Be A Yummy Mummy: National Vegetarian week - Recipe 4

Thursday 26 May 2011

National Vegetarian week - Recipe 4

As I have said before, I do not usually publish recipes but seeing as though it is National Vegetarian Week, I thought I would share some of the ones I cook at home. I am not an amazing cook, but I do like to have a go.  Most of the stuff I make is very easy to prepare and is just made with everyday foods we usually have in the cupboard or fridge. The rest of my family are not vegetarian but they do eat plenty of vegetarian food too.  Sometimes they will have it alongside meat or sometimes they will have it for a change.

Tonights recipe is:

Vegetable Curry

You will need:
  • Mixed fresh vegetables (eg mushrooms, onions, carrots, broccoli, peas, potato)
  • 1 tbs vegetable oil
  • Coconut milk
  • Curry powder
  • Rice
First put the rice on to boil.  We like to use wholegrain rice but you can use whichever you like. Just follow the instructions on the pack.

Next in a separate pan or wok (we use the wok for everything), heat a little oil.  Add the chopped onions and mushrooms.  Once they are starting to go a little brown add the peppers.  If using carrots and potato's I often steam them for few minutes. We have great little microwave steaming dishes that means no mess or hassel.  Then add them to the pan too. Peas and broccoli don't take long so once everything else is done I would add these.  


Next add the coconut milk.  You can buy it ready made in tins or in a pack where you add it to boiling water and stir until it becomes coconut milk. Both are good. Reduce the heat so its simmers and add the curry powder. Poppy only likes it mild so we tend to use mild curry powder but you could use whatever your family enjoy.  Let it simmer for about 20 minutes. 

There you have it, a delicious vegetable curry for the whole family to enjoy (whoops forgot to take a picture of it looking like this). Now that Poppy is approaching three and becoming a little fussy.  I tend to whiz the sauce up in the blender for the children and pour over the rice, that way Poppy will eat it and Rosie is happy that she has the same as her Sister!  



Feel free to serve it whichever way you choose and with your favorite condiments. 

Enjoy

Karen x


2 comments:

  1. This is a very good idea. My little one is very fussy at moment and not wanting pieces of food so this kind of thing sounds great.

    ReplyDelete